Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Critical need for Quality Teachers

After viewing the video I felt like the greatest need in teachers is to have teachers who are highly qualified and those that want to stay in the profession of education. While it seems that one large factor in the high turn over rate of teachers is low pay, I feel for myself that it is a step up in pay. I have been an educational paraprofessional for 17 years. My job pays about one-third of what teachers make. Also in my job, because I have so many years experience, I spend the majority of my day "teaching". In my opinion, I am all ready a teacher, I just need a degree to tell the people hiring that I am a teacher.

It sounded like some states are seeing the need for dedicated people to work and stay in the teaching field and are offering incentives to teach in some of the less desireable places such as student loan forgivement and signing bonuses. In District 6 they offer a program for classified employees (that would be my job) going into education. This fellowship pays for up to 4 years of school at an accredited university as well as $150.00 for books each semester. (I know that is not a lot, but every little bit helps) In return, you must work for District 6 for 3 years and all monies are forgiven. If you work less than 3 years, for each year you work, 1/3 of your tuition is forgiven. I plan on applying for this fellowship as soon as I complete my AA at Aims. I think that I have all ready proven that I am dedicated to staying with District 6, especially after 17 years of previous service. I also think that I have built a good reputation for myself and that should be very helpful in my future prospects as far as getting hired in District 6 after completing my education.

One last thing that the video touched on was that lack of diversity among teachers. Unfortunately, that isn't something that I can change about myself. I am an Anglo, female. Not much diversity there, however, I feel that I am willing to learn what I need to learn to fill my students with culture and diversity. I do not discriminate and I am fascinated to learn about other people's cultures.

1 comment:

Debra Dirksen said...

I agree, you are already a teacher. That paper means a lot, unfortunately. On the other hand there are times I'm glad that paper is required, so many think that teaching is something that anyone can do. As you know, it's work and it takes some experience, some learning, and some love. And in the end, while it would be nice to have a greater diversity in the teaching force, I think what really matters is if you love the kids.